Lately everyone is talking about Superfoods, the health benefits of certain foods and herbs. We discovered from a Food Trend report published by Google that one of the foods with the highest interest was turmeric. Turmeric, also known as “haldi” in India and “jiang huang” in Chinese is a root used as a spice in many ethnic cuisines.
The root is first being boiled, then dried and then made into the very distinct yellow turmeric powder which enrichens all foods spiced with that powder a very bright yellow. In Indian cuisine turmeric powder is used for more than 4000 years but recently also Western countries, with the wave of interest in so-called Superfoods, became aware of the health benefits of turmeric powder.
What are the health benefits of turmeric powder?
First of all, turmeric powder contains curcumin, which is a highly inflammatory ingredient and has antioxidant effects. Many studies also show that the consumption of foods containing turmeric powder decrease the risk of getting brain and heart diseases and can help prevent various forms of cancer. Bottom line: great stuff you should add to your diet!
Turmeric does not only make your food look great and colorful (curry, potatoes etc.); the health benefits of turmeric actually help your body to work at its best. We therefore had a look in all our restaurants and collected a variety of dishes and drinks containing turmeric powder. Check out what we found for you and chose for yourself your favourite dish.
Which Restaurants in Hong Kong offer turmeric?
- Summer Rolls with Turmeric Fish
- Grilled Hanoi Turmeric Fish Fillet
- Turmeric White Fish Banhmi
Get an exotic taste of Thailand with our all new weekend set lunch menus, featuring signature guest favourites such as Laughing Bull, Lobster #Padthai, Red #Vegetables #Curry and #Salmon. 我地推出左周末泰式新菜單，包括我地多款招牌菜：12小時慢煮牛柳，龍蝦炒金邊粉，紅咖哩蔬菜和三文魚，為您既假期带來多一點泰滋味👍💓 #hongkong #central #thaifood #topcitybites #tamarindfish #eatclean #spicy #thaitea #foodbeast #foodandwine #foodie #eatography #eatfamous #foodporn #realfood #feedfeed #feedyoursoul #asianfood #asian #yum #lunch #setlunch
A photo posted by soi7hk (@soi7hk) on
- Slow Cooked Norwegian Salmon In Turmeric-Coconut Sauce
- Tawa Fish: Pan Seared Fish Fillet Marinated With Black Pepper, Turmeric And Lemon Juice
A photo posted by Thai ná ไทยน่ะ (@thainahk) on
- Koong Pad Phohng Ga Ree : Stir-fried King Prawn cooked in Curry Turmeric, ginger, onion , spring onion, parsley, chili and garlic
- Poo Pad Phohng Ga Ree : Stir-fried Crab Curry Turmeric, ginger, onion, spring onion, parsley, garlic and chili
- Grilled Turmeric Snapper With Garlic, Coriander and Chili
For sole-ful evening, try our #ChaCaHanoi with a bottle of fine Riesling. Packed with dill, it’s got antioxidants for your immune system and helps prevent arthritis. The #Riesling, well, helps with everything else. #sole #fish #seafood #VietKitchen #VietKitchenHK #RightByTheEscalator #41ConnaughtRoad #vietnamese #cuisine
A photo posted by VIET KITCHEN & BAR (@vietkitchenhk) on
- Cha Ca Hanoi Sole fillet, dill, turmeric and rice vermicelli
- Banh Mi with Turmeric & Dill Sole Fillet
A photo posted by jyap (@yapjaime) on
- Malay Fried Chicken: Deep Fried Chicken in a Special Turmeric Spiced Marinade
- Hanoi Style Pan Fried Basa Fillet with Dill and Turmeric
- Southern Soft Shell Crab: Crispy soft shell crab with crab meat tossed in a mild fresh southern curry with fresh turmeric
- Dal Tadka: Yellow Lentil – Lentils boiled and tempered with garlic, chilli & cumin
- Aloo Gobhi: Melange of Potatoes and Cauliflower – Potatoes and cauliflower tango – tempered with cumin and ginger
A photo posted by Mafalda Oliveira (@maffsoliveira) on
- Meloni Subzi: Fresh Seasonal Vegetables & Potatoes Cooked in Handi Tempered with Turmeric, Coriander & Cumin
A photo posted by Polly Ho (@kpolly) on
- All Day Breakfast Packed: Soup, scrambled turmeric tofu, tomato beans, portobello, salad with cashew nut, toast, soy patty and potato wedges
- Mixed Vegetable Tomato Masala Curry Turmeric Rice
Such a nice small local organic veg place I found. The beetroot-dragon fruit-green apple juice is too amazing combo as well as coconut milk curry rice 😍 got to make this myself #happy #fulltummy #tasty #deli #food #vegetarian #vegan #veg #fit #healthy #fitness #life #lifestyle #free #hk #hongkong #food #foodgasm #foodporn #fallinlove #natural #organic #travel #eat #love #wanderlust #wander #gym #getfit
A photo posted by Lenka (@lenkajoklova) on
- Indian Fried Rice: Turmeric coconut veggie served with salad
- Orang Utan (160 Calories): Carrot, Orange, Turmeric, Ginger
HEALTH PACK| Change in weather everyone is getting sick! Boost your immunity naturally. Stock up on some of our juices packed with healing ingredients such as turmeric, ginger, mint, orange and oil of oregano😷
A photo posted by Genie Juicery 🍉💚🍍🍋 (@geniejuicery) on
A photo posted by Genie Juicery 🍉💚🍍🍋 (@geniejuicery) on
- Turmeric Latte: Almond milk, turmeric, ginger and honey
It’s a bit cool and windy at night, why not have a cup of Heart-Warmer to heat up your body? Let us introduce “Turmeric Latte”. It’s actually not a coffee but a mixture of Almond Milk, Turmeric, Ginger and Honey. These make the most special drink for this fall! #ZUMUFI #SheungWan #winter #latte#healthy #diet #foodie #fitness
A photo posted by ZUMUFI (@zumufihk) on
- Straight Up: Lemon, ginger, baby turmeric
- Back Up: Orange, ginger, baby turmeric
A photo posted by Maya Cafe (@mayacafeinhk) on
Enjoy and let us know if we missed out a dish!
Happy healthy life